“I know what matters to the people of Beverly. We care about fiscal responsibility, we care about educating and providing opportunities for our children, we care about our seniors and our veterans, we care about economic development and jobs, we care about clean air, clean water, and open spaces, and we care about high quality city services for all.”
“I bring the skills, the experience, the relationships, and the determination to move our city forward.”
May 7, 2013
Today, I announce my candidacy for Mayor of our great city of Beverly.
In doing so, I first want to thank and congratulate Mayor Bill Scanlon for his two decades of invaluable service to the people and city of Beverly. Thanks to the leadership of Mayor Scanlon and many other Beverly citizens, our city is in outstanding shape. A strong foundation has been built, and Beverly is poised for continued success.
Standing securely on this strong foundation, and with the support of the people of Beverly, I will lead our city to ever greater heights. While always respecting and protecting your tax dollars, together we will:
- Sustain and build on the greatness in our public schools, continuing to attract families to Beverly
- Complete the new Memorial Middle School project, providing the modern facility our middle school students and our community need and deserve
- Revitalize our downtown and our waterfront, bringing them alive with people and commerce
- Keep our neighborhoods strong and safe.
- Achieve appropriate new economic growth, using infrastructure improvements like the Brimbal Avenue and Rantoul Street transportation projects to help create new jobs and deliver the revenues our city needs
- Build educational greatness throughout our community by tapping the talents of our businesses (high tech, health care, life sciences, arts, and more), our many schools and colleges, and our people to increase learning opportunities for every child in Beverly
- Improve our roads and sidewalks, making them safer for all
- Work closely with our business community to help existing businesses grow and attract new companies and jobs to Beverly
- Establish Beverly regionally as a cultural center, helping to attract tourism and economic growth
- Address our public safety and municipal facility needs
- Work with other local leaders to promote our North Shore and Cape Ann region, improving quality of life in every way
I know Beverly. I am a lifelong resident. I was educated in the Beverly Public Schools. I have served in elected and volunteer capacities for many years. I know what matters to the people of Beverly. We care about fiscal responsibility, we care about educating and providing opportunities for our children, we care about our seniors and our veterans, we care about economic development and jobs, we care about clean air, clean water, and open spaces, and we care about high quality city services for all. My singular focus will be on the issues that contribute to the quality of life we all value here in Beverly.
I bring the skills, the experience, the relationships, and the determination to move our city forward. As Beverly’s state representative for ten years, City Council President for two years, and in my current position as Executive Director of the Alliance of Massachusetts YMCAs, I have built strong relationships across the state. I understand the challenges facing our state and how they affect our city. I am keenly aware of the potential for our downtown and waterfront, for our schools, for our community and our region. I am fully prepared to lead.
Today, my campaign for Mayor of the city of Beverly begins in earnest. I look forward to meeting, talking with, and hearing from the voters of Beverly throughout the next several months. I will need your support and your votes in the coming election. To volunteer, please contact me at email@example.com or 978-927-7814. Join our campaign and help me take our city to ever greater heights.